MARATHON, Fla.—Governor Ron DeSantis today underscored Florida’s commitment to coral reef conservation and announced updates to the 2024 Lionfish Challenge and Lobster Mini-Season. Through the FY 2024-2025 Focus on Florida’s Future Budget, the Governor allocated a historic $57 million for coral reef restoration and coastal protection, raising total investments in these areas during his second term to over $114 million.
Additionally, the Governor highlighted a $5 million funding initiative aimed at creating artificial reef habitats through the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC). This initiative will support an innovative framework for installing, overseeing, and preserving artificial reefs in the Florida Keys. Earlier this year, DeSantis also allocated $9.5 million to Florida's Coral Reef Restoration and Recovery Initiative.
The state’s investment in coral reefs this year surpasses the total amount requested by the Biden administration for coral reef restoration across the United States.
“Florida has the best fishing and boating in the world because we have the greatest natural resources,” said Governor Ron DeSantis. "That’s why our state is making record investments in protecting our natural treasures, like our coral reefs. Additionally, I was pleased today to announce additional prizes for the annual Lionfish Challenge and an extra day for Floridians to harvest lobster.”
“From lobstering to world-class fishing, the Keys exemplify Florida as the Boating and Fishing Capital of the World," said FWC Executive Director Roger Young. “Through Governor DeSantis’ support of conserving our natural resources, we will continue to promote the removal of invasive species—such as lionfish—that negatively impact our waters.”
The Governor also announced that an additional day will be added exclusively for Florida residents on Sunday, July 14, ahead of this year's recreational spiny lobster mini-season scheduled for Wednesday, July 24, and Thursday, July 25. The regular commercial and recreational lobster season will commence on August 6, 2024, ending on March 31, 2025.
To address invasive lionfish threats further, DeSantis spotlighted this year's Lionfish Challenge running through September 2. This statewide program encourages public participation in hunting lionfish with opportunities to win prizes while contributing to conservation efforts.
Participants can register at FWCReefRangers.com under either recreational or commercial categories. Since its inception in 2014, over one million lionfish have been removed from Florida’s oceans through this challenge. The event features a tiered prize system based on harvested lionfish numbers. Participants reaching Tier 1 by harvesting either 25 lionfish (recreational) or 50 pounds (commercial) receive a commemorative coin and traditionally keep one additional spiny lobster per day during Mini-Season; however, this year they are allowed two additional lobsters per day.
For more information on these events visit FWCReefRangers.com.