Governor Ron DeSantis has announced the early completion of the NASA Causeway Bridge in Brevard County. The project, which delivered the second of two bridges six months ahead of schedule, is set to open to traffic on Wednesday, March 19.
The new bridge spans 4,025 feet over the Indian River and eliminates the need for drawbridge openings due to its fixed span design. This infrastructure upgrade aims to accommodate the growing volume and size of payloads and space industry vehicles within Florida's aerospace corridor. Upon opening, westbound vehicles will use the new bridge while eastbound traffic will utilize the existing one. The $128 million project was a collaboration between FDOT, NASA, and Space Florida.
“Cape Canaveral Spaceport broke records with 93 launches and 2.7 million pounds of space cargo last year—and we’re expecting over 150 launches this year,” said Governor Ron DeSantis. “Florida is committed to building the infrastructure the space industry needs to keep growing, and with these new bridges, Florida is more ready than ever to become home to NASA’s new headquarters.”
The first bridge was completed in 2023, ahead of schedule by 125 days, supporting over 1,000 transports for Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral Space Force Station partners.
“The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) worked closely with our space industry partners and our local communities to meet their vision for the area and their transportation needs,” said FDOT Secretary Jared W. Perdue, P.E. “This NASA Causeway Bridge project along with the Space Commerce Way widening project will support the growing workforce and evolving needs of this community and our state long into the future.”
In late 2024, FDOT finished expanding Space Commerce Way from two lanes to four lanes over a stretch of 2.7 miles—from NASA Parkway West to Kennedy Parkway—to better serve oversized loads traveling through key areas like Kennedy Space Center.